We are having our fourth child and third daughter May 22nd. Our oldest is Gracie. Her full name Grace Elizabeth Meyer. Her middle name is my husband’s maternal grandmother’s 1st name. Our son Tommy’s name is Lane Thomas Meyer (Lane – which is my husband’s first name and Thomas which is my father’s first name). Our second daughter Ellie is Eliana Marie Meyer. Her middle name is my mother’s first name and my middle name.
As you can tell all of our kids have a more formal name and then a nick name that we call them. For our fourth we want a more formal name and then a nickname but the nickname does not need to end in “ie” like the older three. If it does it is ok but it does not have to. There just needs to be nickname.
We would like to use a family name for the middle name since all of the children have some family name in them. That leaves us with my husband’s mother’s name. Her first name is Carmel which seems to be hard as a middle name. Her middle name is Keith so there is no way I will use that for a girl’s name. So we are really trying to use it. We would like the first name to have some meaning but it does not have to be too deep. She is such a gift and I want her name to reflect that to some extent if possible.
Some ideas we have tossed around
1) Charlotte –and call her Charlie (seems to be getting more popular/we know someone who is having a baby in March and naming their daughter Charlotte)
2) Caroline/Carolyn – and call her Carly (seems like too much with Carmel)
3) Natalie – don’t have a formal name for it and it means born on Christmas day. That does not sit right with me.
4) Amanda – call her Molly – my husband does not like that because he does not see how Molly can be a nickname for Amanda. I just don’t like Mandy as a nickname.
5) Sophia – Sophie – like this one but have a friend whose daughter is Sophia
6) Teana – Tea
My sister has three children (Aidan, Alina, and Ariel) we need to make sure whatever name we choose is not to close to those since we live close and do a lot together. My sister-in-laws kids names are Jessica and Kyle.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I agree, Carmel is tough to work with. Are there any other female names to use? Husband's paternal grandmother? Your grandmothers? Any sisters or aunts? Your maiden name? Your mother-in-law's maiden name?
Two notes on the list of candidates:
1. Do Teana and Eliana rhyme? If so, I think they're too close for sibling names.
2. I agree with your husband that Molly doesn't make sense as a nickname for Amanda. It's not that you couldn't use it (some of the traditional nicknames for other names don't make much sense either, and in fact Molly is the traditional nickname for MARY of all things), but it would be puzzling. And she herself might decide to use the nickname Mandy, and then you'd be stuck.
Grace, Lane, Eliana, and ____. Gracie, Tommy, Ellie, and _____.
I like the name Felicity here. It's fine with Carmel, and it means luck and happiness. Possible nicknames: Fliss, Lissie. I'd probably use Lissie since it goes so well with the other girls' nicknames.
I also like Mirabel: it means miraculous, beautiful one, but without hitting anyone over the head with it. Nicknames: Mira, Miri, Bella. It's not good with Carmel, though.
Oh, how about BEATRIX? "Blessed," and "she who brings happiness." What a great meaning, and I love that name anyway! Nicknames: Bea, Bee (pronounced the same as Bea but I think it's 100 times cuter), Trixie. AND it works with Carmel! I think Beatrix Carmel Meyer is the best possi---....oh, SHOOT. That gives her the initials B.M., and that would be a dealbreaker for me. Oh, DARN IT! Oh, I'm so disappointed! I'm hoping you'll tell me you wouldn't have used it anyway, that it was the name of your husband's ex or of a mean old aunt or something.
I feel almost too discouraged to go on, don't you? I hate when a perfect name crashes and burns.
Name update 05-22-2010! Melissa writes: "We decided to name her Sarah Carmel with the nickname Sadie for Sarah."